Sandvine is committed to ensuring its Application and Network Intelligence adheres to the highest standards and principles in terms of development, implementation, and usage
We believe 5G, the IoT, and immersive experiences like the metaverse have the potential to transform society and create positive social and socioeconomic impact. But it’s important to think now about what their value should be – beyond profits and revenues – for creating positive change.
In our industry, we must all keep a vigilant eye toward how these technologies can make our world more efficient, productive, secure, and sustainable. To that end, we monitor The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)’s Democracy Index, and evaluate how Sandvine solutions are being used around the world through an internal Business Ethics Committee.
Having a proactive ethics approach will grow in importance with Cloud and 5G enablement, which are expanding the reach of technology’s influence. We are proud that our Application and Network Intelligence is increasingly used for enhancements in productivity, collaboration, engagement, entertainment, security, and safety. Whether preventing cybercrimes that would otherwise defraud or hurt individuals and businesses, or protecting children and adolescents from inappropriate and malicious activities, we are evolving our focus to foment positive change. Below are some key areas and criteria on which we are focused:
- Protecting children and young adults from inappropriate, malicious and illegal internet content
- Providing children and young adults with a distraction-free environment that encourages productive activities
- Allowing families to establish and protect their values and beliefs
Video and Television Fraud
- Protecting intellectual property rights globally by disallowing pirated TV
- Increasing/preserving revenues and thus taxation from legitimate paid video streaming and TV services
- Reducing the billions of USD per year of these illegal services funding organized crime (who typically runs these services)
- Improving the affordability of legitimate video services
Interconnect Bypass Fraud (VoIP)
- Increasing/preserving revenues and thus taxation from legitimate voice services including PSTN
- Reducing the millions of USD per year of these illegal services funding organized crime (who typically runs these services)
- Improving the affordability of international calls
- Allowing all subscribers to enjoy high-quality internet services and experiences
- Ensuring fairness of internet usage across all socioeconomic groups
- Improving the affordability of internet services to all users
Video Streaming Management
- Empowering all users to enjoy basic, reasonable quality of experience for video services and applications
- Increasing the fairness of video application access and usage, especially for applications required for the video-first economy (e.g. videoconferencing for work and learning, telemedicine, and security cameras)
- Improving the affordability of video services for all users
- Improving environmental performance with an ISO 14001:2015-compliant Environmental Management System – the leading environmental management system (EMS) standard.
- Conserving energy through lab virtualization and manufacturing efficiency improvements, and by creating virtual products that enable customers to select sustainable hardware options, as well as re-use existing infrastructure
- Developing a robust recycling program to reduce plastic and electronic waste
- Implementing Environmental Policy and management processes that minimize our contribution to pollution and waste
- Working to reduce our carbon footprint and energy conservation practices.
- Communicating our environmental commitments to associates and suppliers, encouraging them to adopt effective environmental management practices.
- Protecting domestic networks, services and users from cyberattacks initiated by foreign adversaries, including nation states
- Minimizing cyberattacks originating from domestic networks to other domestic networks and/or foreign networks
- Allowing all users to enjoy a high-quality internet and application experiences free of cyberthreats
With these principles guiding us in the development of our products and solutions, we strive to improve our environmental and social impacts. Additionally, we will continue investing in the high-value automation software modules that deliver superior customer application experiences to our customers, and their customers, as well as the innovations that deliver operational excellence and network optimizations that will help our customers deliver on the promise of what’s to come with 5G, Cloud, and AR/VR technologies like the metaverse.
To learn more about what we are doing, view our 2022 Global Internet Phenomena Report and accompanying webinar, as well as our new Use Case eBook. Also, contact us for a closer look at our Application and Network Intelligence Portfolio, 5G Service Intelligence Engine, and Analytics.
Subscribe to our blog for quarterly updates!