Traffic Steering Engine
Deploy Service Function Chains in a Straightforward, Standards-Compliant Manner
The Traffic Steering Engine (TSE) delivers carrier-grade horizontal scale and reliability in a completely virtualized solution, so it’s aligned with communications service providers’ network functions virtualization (NFV) strategies; plus, the TSE is subscriber-aware, so it’s the perfect enabler of today’s subscriber-centric network services.
Service Function Support
The Traffic Steering Engine supports steering traffic to service functions provided by Sandvine (e.g., TCP acceleration, policy control, etc.) or any third-party service function that’s compliant with the IETF Service Function Chaining (SFC) standard.
Unlike data center networks, communications service provider (CSP) networks have routing asymmetry. The Traffic Steering Engine can be deployed in networks with any degree of asymmetry, while still guaranteeing service function instance affinity.
The Traffic Steering Engine delivers the cost-effective horizontal scalability that CSP networks need, but which is lacking in alternatives repurposed from other markets/applications.
The Traffic Steering Engine’s subscriber awareness ensures the traffic from only the appropriate subscribers is sent through the appropriate service function chain, ensuring an efficient, high-performance deployment.
Deploying the Traffic Steering Engine
The Traffic Steering Engine is deployed in the network’s data plane, where it intersects the network’s traffic.
In practice, the Traffic Steering Engine’s tunnel/encapsulation support means that it can be installed almost anywhere in the network, which unlocks a number of very interesting deployment scenarios. For instance, a CSP could install Traffic Steering Engine deployments throughout the network, near the subscriber edge, and configure each deployment to collectively (and selectively) steer traffic to a central deployment of the Sandvine Policy Traffic Switch (PTS) Virtual Series (i.e., for policy control use cases to be applied).
Configuring the Traffic Steering Engine, with Control Center
Simplify Operations without Sacrificing Functionality
Control Center is Sandvine’s unified policy control and operations management graphical user interface, and provides a single mechanism for monitoring operational information, editing network policies, configuring elements, and deploying network policy control solutions, in addition to managing your Traffic Steering Engine deployments.
Control Center simplifies deployment and operation of the Traffic Steering Engine with features including:
- Operational Insight: Monitor the health and status of your entire Sandvine deployment, including the Traffic Steering Engine, in a central location.
- Real-Time Visibility: Control Center gives you one central location to manage and view your entire Sandvine deployment. Using the PowerView feature, you can examine traffic flowing through the Traffic Steering Engine in real-time, in aggregate and on a per-instance basis.
- Easy Service Chain Creation: Use the built-in solution wizard to create and define new service function chains.
- Painless Software Updates: Control Center simplifies pushing software updates to all Traffic Steering Engine instances.
- Subscriber Mapping Configuration: A configuration tool to setup and configure subscriber awareness in your network. Simply choose from the options based on your network architecture.